Your job today is to finish working on the paper and visual for your final exam project. Use me as a resource to help you with the components, questions, etc. You can use additional resources to help you, but you will need to cite these on a formal citation page.
I WILL CHECK YOUR PROGRESS AT THE END OF CLASS TO GIVE YOU THE RUBRIC POINTS FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT.
Monday, May 12
1. Take test over Development
2. Turn in your thesis question for a "on time" check.
3. Read this handout pages 1 and 2 about Developmental Disorders and complete the reading guide.
Friday, May 9
1. Act out skits to teach the class about Kubler Ross' "Stages of Grief". How have you noticed these stages play out in YOUR processing of grief?
3. Read page 119 in textbook and complete this Opinion/Proof and turn in. The opinion you need to support is" "Our culture believes more than most that altering consciousness should be avoided. Do you agree or disagree with this cultural view?"
Tuesday, April 15
1. Finish movie "Memento" and complete viewing guide showing your understanding of memory.
3. Finally, go back to your Thought Record from step 1. Fill out colums 5, 6, and 7. Are you happier now about this thought? Question for columnn 5 is "Is there evidence that does NOT support your perception of the event?"
Wednesday, April 9
1. Why is understanding perception of our senses important in psychology? Watch this video to think about what "perception" means?
Complete these questions as you watch. Watch the first 6 minutes of this video to understand the way our brain learns to perceive color. Want more weirdness? Check out the first few minutes of Al Seckel's illusions.
Tuesday, April 8
Guest Speaker: Staff psychologist, Ms. Vinson
Monday, April 7th
Meet in Media Center and work on this Webquest! Read everything carefully! Tomorrow, meet back in the trailer for our guest speaker, Ms. Vinson.
3. Check out the first page of this handout on the Barnum Effect. What dessert profile fits you best? Do you believe it? Complete the second page of handout to show understanding and thoughts on this psychological phenomenom.
Finish your mid term (www.questgarden.com/q/captain)
Friday, March 7th
1. To discuss race in America, read the black codes and discuss how these things affect African American Society today. Have you seen this "doll test"?
2. Watch this video about the Civil Rights movement. Have things changed?
Wednesday March 5th/Thursday March 6th
1 Watch "Captain Phillips" and complete this guide to help you with your online project this Wed/Thursday.
Friday, Feb 28
1. Study "emotional keys for success" and write down why you think at least 3 of the "taught" emotions are easier to learn in middle to upper class families. Why is it children in the lower classes struggle with learning some of these emotions?
2. Complete the first 2 pages of the reading guide over the chapter on "Challenges of Adolescence" using the textbook. We will discuss and watch a clip related to this section about Early Teen Sexual Activity.
4. If you finish, take one or more of these tests. Harvard University has loaded these famous tests online for FREE! Find out if you have hidden biases towards a race or group of people, like gays or overweight people. Take a test to see if you have unconscious prejudices!...you need extreme focus during the test to get accurate results so don't talk to others if they are taking one!
Monday, Feb 3
1. . Board the "Oz" Train! We're going to do an activity to see the socialization effects of ostracization!
2. Discuss what is "cool" and "uncool" in your opinion. What makes things "cool"?
1. Using your textbook reading, complete the Venn diagram on the societies to compare how cultures vary and are similar.
2. Analyze this image before and after re-touching. Class discussion WHY certain features are considered more attractive than others and do other cultures value the same things? What types of features on this woman might not be valued in a different culture?
3. Using this Prezi or textbook reading pages 24-27, complete the Graphic Organizer about the different components that make up culture. Discuss cultural norms and folkways.
3. Take the "How Did Ms. Thrower Set Me Up for Success" job training test. YOU decide if you want this grade to count!
Thursday, Jan 9
Work to finish this 5 step Webquest. Practice the skill of reading and following directions BEFORE you raise your hand to ask for help.
SUPER TECHNOLOGY TIP!...WHEN YOU ARE ON SOUTHEAST COMPUTERS, NEVER USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO ACCESS THE WEB. USE MOZILLA FIREFOX!
Wednesday, Jan 8
1. Learn good note-taking skills so you can succeed in this class! Start off watching this video about how your brain learns through notes. Also, file this quick tip sheet in your portfolio right after your Job Training Packet.
2. Use what you learned about note-taking to take notes over the "Ways Ms. Thrower's Class is Setup for My Success". If you miss class, you MUST get these notes from a reliable classmate!
Topics covered in note-taking: Desk of Self Sufficiency, What to do when you are absent or falling behind, other purposes for things in my classroom, location of things in the classroom, etc.
3. Discuss "What is quality work?" Let's look at examples!
Psychology Moment!! If you want to watch the Prezi of why I grade the way I do, click here. This class involves a lot of critical thinking and creativity, so "carrots and sticks" aren't very effective to help you acheive that goal!
2. Take this pre-test to show me how much you are thinking about Psychology already!
3. Tell me about YOU and what motivates you! Do you have GRIT?
1. Look over "Hidden Rules of Ruby" study and circle one value from each row you think best fits your mentality. Discuss what these column should be labled.